University of Missouri-Columbia, Chemistry, B.S. 1986
University of California-Berkeley, Physical Chemistry, Ph.D. 1991
Cornell University, Chemical Dynamics, Post-doc 1991-1993
- 2019 Curators' Distinguished Professor
- 2016-present, Professor, Department of Chemistry, University of Missouri-Columbia
- 2004-2015, Professor, Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University
- 2003-2004, Professor, Department of Chemistry, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- 2000-2003, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY
- 2000-2005, Scientist, Department of Chemistry, Brookhaven National Laboratory
- 1995-2000, Group Leader, Chemical Dynamics Program, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory; Staff Scientist, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Awards and Honors
- 2022 APS Earle K. Plyler Prize for Molecular Spectroscopy and Dynamics
- 2018 ACS Physical Division Senior Award in Experimental Physical Chemistry
- 2014 Radboud Excellence Professorship, Radboud University, Nijmegen
- 2013 WSU Outstanding Graduate Mentor Award
- 2012 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2012-2016 A. Paul and Carol Schaap Senior Faculty Fellow
- 2007 Academy of Scholars, Wayne State University
- 2006 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2005-2006 Wayne State Board of Governors’ Distinguished Faculty Fellowship Award
- 2022 Symposium Organizer APS March Meeting
- 2015 Chair, 25th Dynamics of Molecular Collisions Conference
- 2013 Chair, Astrochemistry Subdivision, ACS Physical Division
- 2013 Co-Chair, Dynamics of Molecular Collisions, Tahoe, CA
- 2011 Chair, APS Division of Chemical Physics
- 2008 Chair, Atomic and Molecular Interactions Gordon Conference, Colby-Sawyer, NH
- 2008, 2011 DOE-BES Committee of Visitors
R. M. Gurusinghe, N. Dias, R. Krueger, and A. G. Suits, “Uniform Supersonic Flow Sampling for Detection by Chirped-Pulse Rotational Spectroscopy,” J. Chem. Phys.(in press) (2021) DOI:10.1063/5.0073527
C. D. Foley, C. Xie, H. Guo, A. G. Suits, “Orbiting Resonances in Formaldehyde Reveal Coupling of Roaming, Radical and Molecular Channels ,” Science (2021) 374, 1122-1127.
S. T. Alavi, G. A. Cooper and A. G. Suits “Coulomb Explosion Dynamics of Methoxycarbonylsulfenyl Chloride by 3D Multimass Imaging,” Mol. Phys. (2021) DOI: 10.1080/00268976.2021.1988170
C. Amarasinghe, H. Li, C. A. Perera, M. Besemer, J. Zuo, A. van der Avoird, G. C. Groenenboom, H. Guo, and A. G. Suits, “Collision Induced Spin-Orbit Relaxation of Highly Vibrationally Excited NO Near 1 K,” Natural Sciences (2021) DOI: 10.1002/ntls.20210074
G. A. Cooper, S. T. Alavi, W. Li, S.-K. Lee, and A. G. Suits, “Coulomb Explosion Dynamics of Chlorocarbonylsulfenyl Chloride,” J. Phys. Chem. A. (2021) 125, 5481-5489 (C. Y. Ng Festschrift). DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpca.1c02332
Z.-F. Sun, M. C. van Hamert, J. Loreau A. van der Avoird, A. G. Suits, and D. H. Parker, “Molecular square dancing in CO-CO collisions,” Science (2020) 360, 307-309. DOI: 10.1126/science.aan2729
H. Li and A. G. Suits, “Universal Crossed Beam Imaging Studies of Polyatomic Reaction Dynamics,” Phys Chem Chem Phys. (2020) 22, 11126-11138 Editor Select Hot Paper DOI: 10.1039/D0CP00522C.
C. Amarasinghe, H. Li, C. A. Perera, M. Besemer, J. Zuo, C. Xie, A. van der Avoird, G. C. Groenenboom, H. Guo, J. Kłos and A. G. Suits1* “State-to-state scattering of highly vibrationally excited NO at broadly tunable energies,” Nature Chem. (2020) DOI: 10.1038/s41557-020-0466-8.
Prateek Puri, Michael Mills, John Montgomery, Ionel Simbotin, Robin Cote, Elizabeth P. West, Christian Schneider, Arthur Suits, and Eric R. Hudson*, “Reaction blockading in a reaction between an excited atom and a charged molecule at low collision energy,” Nature Chem (2019) 11, 615–621. DOI: 10.1038/s41557-019-0264-3
Arthur G. Suits, “Roaming radicals and dynamics in the van der Waals region,” Annual Reviews of Physical Chemistry. (2020) 71 77-100. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-physchem-050317-020929
A. G. Suits, “Invited Review Article: Photofragment Imaging,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. (2018) 89, 111101 DOI: 10.1063/1.5045325
H. Li, A. Kamasah, S. Matsika and A. G. Suits*, “Intersystem Crossing in the Exit Channel,” Nature Chem (2018) DOI:10.1038/s41557-018-0186-5
N. Suas-David, S. Thawoos and A. G. Suits, “A Uniform Flow – Cavity Ring-Down Spectrometer (UF-CRDS): A new setup for spectroscopy and kinetics at low temperature,” J Chem. Phys. (2019) 151, 244202. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5125574 (Featured Article)
C. Weeraratna, O. S. Vasyutinskii*, and A. G. Suits*, “Photodissociation by Circularly Polarized Light Yields Photofragment Alignment Arising Solely from Vibronic Interactions,” Phys. Rev. Lett. (2019) 122, 083403. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.122.083403
C. Amarasinghe, H. Li, C. A. Perera, M. Besemer, A. van der Avoird, G. C. Groenenboom, C. Xie, H. Guo, and A. G. Suits*, “Differential Cross Sections for State-to-State Collisions of NO(v=10) in Near-Copropagating Beams,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (2019), 10, 10, 2422-2427 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.9b00847
B. M. Broderick, N. Suas-David, N. Dias, and A. G. Suits, “Isomer-specific Detection in the UV Photodissociation of the Propargyl Radical by Chirped-Pulse mm-Wave Spectroscopy in a Pulsed Quasi-Uniform Flow,” Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2018) 20, 5517-5529.
C. Amarasinghe and A. G. Suits, “Intrabeam Scattering for Ultracold Collisions,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (2017) 8, 5153-5159
B. Joalland, Y. Shi, A. G. Suits and A. M. Mebel, “Roaming dynamics in radical addition/elimination reactions,” Nature Comm. (2014) DOI: 10.1038/ncomms5064
B. M. Broderick, Y. Lee, M. B. Doyle, O. S. Vasyutinskii, and A. G. Suits, "Velocity Distribution of Hydrogen Atom Spin Polarization." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 4 3489-3493 (2013).
C. Abeysekera B. Joalland, N. Ariyasingha, L. N. Zack, I. R. Sims, R.W. Field, and A. G. Suits. "Product Branching in the Low Temperature Reaction of CN with Propyne by Chirped-Pulse Microwave Spectroscopy in a Uniform Supersonic Flow." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (2015) 6, 1599-1604.
C. Abeysekera, L. N. Zack, G. B. Park, B. Joalland, J. M. Oldham, K. Prozument, N. Ariyasingha, I. Sims, R. W. Field, A. G. Suits, "A chirped-pulse Fourier-transform microwave/pulsed uniform flow spectrometer: II, Performance and applications for reaction dynamics." J. Chem. Phys. (2014) 141, 214203. DOI: 10.1063/1.4903253
B. Joalland, T. Mori, T. J. Martinez, A. G. Suits, “Photochemical dynamics of ethylene cation C2H4+,” J. Phys. Chem. Lett, (2014) 5 ,1467-1471.
Joalland, B., Shi, Y., Patel, N., Van Camp, R., & Suits, A., "Dynamics of Cl+ Propane, Butanes Revisited: A Crossed Beam Slice Imaging Study." Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. (2014) 16, 414-420. DOI: 10.1039/C3CP51785C.
A. G. Suits and O. S. Vasyutinskii, “Imaging atomic orbital polarization,” Chem. Rev. 108, 3706 (2008).
A. G. Suits, “Roaming atoms and radicals: A new mechansim in molecular dissociation,” Acc. Chem. Res. 41, 873 (2008).